Retired & Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP)
The Retired & Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP) is a national Senior Corps program sponsored locally by OlyCAP. RSVP supports and encourages volunteerism for people 55 and over in Jefferson and Clallam Counties. These volunteers have spent the first part of their lives caring for their families and developing business and professional skills. Now is the time to use those skills to support the local non-profit organizations that serve to help our community members most in need – families who struggle with basic needs, the elderly and the disabled who struggle to stay independent, children at risk for failure in the classroom, and our environment that needs community effort to be sustainable. RSVP volunteer hours and the agencies they serve help build the future of our community.
RSVP was created by Congress in 1965 to ensure that the skills and knowledge of people over 55 would be shared with community members of all ages. Clallam and Jefferson County RSVP has served our community since 1972 when the program was adopted by the Olympic Community Action Programs (OlyCAP)
In 2013, new mandates from the Corporation for National Community Service provide guidelines for focusing our volunteer hours in the following areas: healthy futures, education, economic opportunity, veterans and their families, disaster services, and environmental stewardship.
Locally, this RSVP program supports over 240 active volunteers. Our volunteers assist in local food banks, senior nutrition programs and senior day care. RSVP volunteers also assist in housing families, tutoring and mentoring elementary school students, Head Start youth, and young adults, providing transportation to seniors to medical appointments and assisting with light chores in the home, and connect veterans and their families to much needed services.
Join RSVP today and you will…
- Share your experiences and skills
- Learn something new every day
- Make a significant difference in the lives of individuals or families in your community
- Qualify for free excess liability and accident insurance coverage for your volunteer travel and service
- Join with other RSVP members nationwide to create a powerful voice for the issues and concerns important to you
- Create a legacy of success
Read the latest news articles about the Retired & Senior Volunteer Program here:
- Clallam Food Banks Offer Drive-thru Service
- Seniors Help Serve Community as RSVPs
- Volunteer Doing What She Can to Serve the Community